How Does Your Own Childhood Experience Get in the Way of Your Parenting? #parenting #overprotective #trauma #toxicrelationships #masterfulparenting

 

  1. Do you sometimes feel like your own childhood experiences are getting in the way of your parenting today


  2. Perhaps, you had very overprotective parents who raised you with fear, or maybe your parents had unrealistic expectations and you always felt whatever you did wasn’t good enoughOr perhaps you experienced toxic relationships where you didn’t feel safe


  3. Whatever your story is, your childhood experiences can get in the way of becoming the parent you want to be and the one your child needsHi, I’m Anne Alvares, Parent Coach of the Masterful Parenting Program


  4. I understand how childhood experiences can affect your parentingI was raised by very authoritative parents, where we were seen but not heardAnd the messaging was always, “You need to respect me,” no matter whatIn my own parenting, I have struggled with this idea of children needing to respect their parentsSo, on one occasion, my oldest son decided not to listen to meHe was 10 years old at the time and he was really attached to this shirt that had holes in itI didn’t mind him wearing it at home but I told him to change before going out and I was very insistent about thisSo, he went up reluctantly to his room and put another shirt on and headed out with his dadLater that day, he called me and said, “Mom, I’m still wearing the shirt with the holesHaha.”  Of course, I was madHow dare he disrepect meThis was my thinkingAnd I was really bothered by his defianceShould I ground himMy thinking was so irrational and not relational which now I know is where my thinking should have been


  5. Before reacting, I confided in a good friend and colleague who was the parent of three girlsAfter telling him my story, my friend told me to have a conversation with my son to find out his reason for wearing the shirt after I asked him not toSo, I didAnd I learned something that dayI learned it wasn’t about disrespecting meIt was about learning to listen to himselfSo, there was no grounding or punishmentInstead, there was understanding and my own epiphany that he needed to be heard.  And isn't this what we want for our children to learn to listen to their own voice and


  6. I invite you to comment and share how your own childhood experiences have affected your parentingAnd if you want to learn more about the Masterful Parenting Program, please connect and I will be happy to meet with you. 


 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fear Stifles Growth in Our Kids

5 Steps to Taking Worry Away #worryless #parenting #self-care #children

Relational Talk with Your Kids